Thursday, January 23, 2014

Class Read Aloud ~ The BFG

Welcome back to the new year!  It's been a while since I've posted on here; but, today has already been an exceptional day and I am so impressed by this class!

We came back from vacation and I needed a new read aloud.  I chose a book I haven't read in many years ~ The BFG by Roald Dahl.  The book has been great to help students see how to check in and ask questions as they read.  We are also working on our visualizing skills and creating a picture/movie in our head as we read.  It takes quite a while to get through a chapter because we stop so much to create those pictures, make connections and check our vocabulary understanding.

As I was reading today's chapter there was no doubt these kids are paying attention to this book and creating their mental images!  I never know if they are truly understanding; but, today the book was talking about soda bubbles and how they should travel.  In Giant Country, the soda bubbles travel downward to keep from burping.  My students were quick to see where this was going!  If the bubble travel down instead of up, the air bubbles have to come out somewhere and they were already cracking up before I could even attempt to explain that one.

I am not one for "fart" humor; but, I love the way this book handles what the giant calls "whizzpopping."  The descriptive language had the students busting up laughing and truly enjoying a great book!  What amazes me the most is they got the point WITHOUT me having to spoon feed it.  That's what I've been waiting for as their teacher, they day they begin being active in their learning and make connections on their own.

Have I mentioned how much I love teaching this class?  They are an exceptional group of kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment