Wednesday, February 12, 2014

How Do These Conversations Start?

Today was a long day and by the afternoon we were a little restless and overworked.  It was time for some brain downtime; so, as students worked on an Abraham Lincoln word search and color page, I turned on the projector and played Ninjump on the iPad.  The character is in a Panda suit so this sparks a conversation among the kids about pandas.  Okay, reasonable enough; but, how did we go from pandas to Mexican food?  See if you can follow this rabbit trail. . .

Student 1:  Does anyone eat at Panda Express?
Several students reply with yes.
Student 2:  No, I don't like Mexican food.

Students gasp and I'm waiting for the every so nice <insert sarcasm> (have you ever heard kids correct each other, it's rarely ever nice!) explain that Panda Express is NOT Mexican food; but, nope.  The gasps were in response to a student not liking Mexican food!  So many asked how he could not like it and how it's the best food.  I actually had to rethink the idea myself and wondered, "Is Panda considered Mexican food?"

Oh, how I love the rabbit trails these kids can take!  This one will stay with me for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment