Monday, September 23, 2013

Amazing Kids

Wow, this group of students continues to amaze me!  It's not about who has mastered what standard or who will score the highest on the next test; it's about them growing as people and taking responsibility for their actions, and many did just that this morning!

Today was the first fire drill of the year.  We worked through the procedure and reviewed what we were to do during the fire drill.  As you can imagine, children are children and several did not do things the way we reviewed.  When returning back to the classroom, we talked about the things I saw and heard that were not part of the drill (covering of ears, talking, running, etc. .  .)  When we make poor choices, we move our clips down on our clip chart.  Two students stood out and were told to go move their clip down for their behaviors during the drill.  I then asked 3 others if they were involved with the explosive talking that I heard, they all 3 admitted they were and went and moved their clips down.  That honesty was enough to give me the pride I needed for the day ~ I love when students are honest.  But, it didn't stop there!  I made a blanket statement to the class stating if others were involved in that huge uproar, then I expect their clip to be moved as well and if anyone else needed to move then please do so.  I had FIVE students walk to the clip chart and move their clip down!

Can I just say, WOW!  Most people would be so irritated to have had half their class need to move their clip down during a fire drill; but, I had to focus on the positive.  I have a class of students who know being honest about their actions is much more important than possibly getting in trouble!

My praising their honesty just wasn't enough, I called in Ms. Fagundes to report to her the "amazingness" of these students.  She also praised their integrity ~ yes, she explained what that was :)  But, I can't stop gushing over it, so I'm letting the world know how awesome these kids are!  Yes, they make mistakes as we all do; but, the important thing is to own up to those mistakes when they are made!

In case you are wondering, all clips were moved back up due to their display of trustworthiness!  Please join me in bragging on these kids and reinforce how proud we are of them for making the right choice to be responsible for their behavior ~ I may not like how they acted during the fire drill; but, I respect and admire their honesty and responsibility afterwards!

Character Counts ~ My class showed trustworthiness & responsibility!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Mr. Price's class.... I am hoping my kiddo was one of the honest ones (well i know he was) and i also know he loves to socialize.

    ReplyDelete