Two weeks under our belts and where are we now? The students are doing an amazing job getting adjusted to the start of school. They are tired and restless at times; but, most are beginning to be familiar with my expectations and how I like things done.
This past week we started our first reading theme on Friends. We have been exploring characters and how they can change in a story. We've discovered the Rainbow Fish was a very selfish (and yes, the kids loved laughing at the fact that 'fish' was in the word 'selfish' ~ little goobers!) and greedy; but, by the end of the story, he changed and became a friendly, giving character. It is very important for the students to begin to think of the characters and how they develop. They need to also begin to think of what type of person the character is ~ we are working on getting away from 'nice' and being more specific with our answers.
I think the biggest challenge students are facing right now is in math! Students are beginning to explore math concepts and many are doing great with the new ideas; however, when it comes to explaining or defending their answers, they struggle. This has been very fun to watch them figure out how they want to explain how they got the answer! Several think if they just stare off for a bit, they'll be off the hook. WRONG! No one is off the hook in Mr. Price's class, no wallflowers in here. The students took a couple days, but they are now getting used to having to explain their thinking and aren't as worried about being right or wrong as they once were.
I'm especially proud of how this class is shaping up and treating one another. As we begin to explain our thoughts, sometimes it makes us nervous because no one wants to be laughed at. Only once have we had 1 student laughing at someone (luckily it was me being laughed at and I can handle it!) The nice thing with that, the other students learned real fast that Mr. Price will protect them and not let them be made fun of when they are trying their best! This class is beginning to trust one another and that's a great thing.
In closing, please be on the lookout for permission slips coming home soon. I'd like to start putting photos on our class blog and class web page. It will take me some time to get the forms together to include all I'd like to do this year; but, I think it will really jazz this site up and get the kids excited!
No comments:
Post a Comment