Friday, August 22, 2014

One Week Down

Today we come to the end of our first full week of school!  It's always a busy and tiring week.  I'm sure many of your kids have come home very tired, hungry, and crabby.  I know mine have!  Of course I'm sure my wife would be asking if it's our kids or me who is coming home tired, hungry, and crabby :)  Yes, I admit it, I'm as bad as the kids getting back in to the routine.  My feet hurt, my voice is cracking and I'm tired beyond the point of a good night's sleep doing any good ~ I think I need a good 3 days of uninterrupted sleep!  But, I don't see that happening anytime soon!

Even with all the sleepiness and crabbiness going on, I think this going to shape up to be another fantastic year for Room 14!  Some students have started testing boundaries and seeing how far they can go.  I love this time of year because you see who the timid students are and who the daring ones are.  The daring students begin pushing limits right away and give that look as if to say, "So, what are you going to do when I do this?"  You know, the expectation is, it's the beginning of school and the teacher is going to let us do just about anything ~ WRONG!  Reality is, it's the beginning of school and the teacher is going to set the stage for a great year by letting you know you can't get away with anything!  What's even better is when the look turns to, "But, you were serious and I really have to (read, draw, write, etc. . )"  All the while the timid students are quietly watching and thankful some other student tested that limit because they know where it is now.

Ah, the time of settling in is fun!

I love my job so much; but, as I was going through today's lessons and dictation, I think I found my other true calling!  I should quit teaching and become a tour guide on a great excursion or a ride like the Jungle Cruise and Disneyland!  My mood was off in a weird place, I had a microphone in hand, and the voice and jokes just kept rolling out.  Kids were looking at me with mixed emotions.  Some were laughing and some thought I'd just lost a few marbles and belonged far away from children.  Good times; but, now instead of being a WalMart greeter when I retire, I think I'll go work at Disneyland on a cruise ride where I can tell corny jokes and people have to put up with it because their stuck on a ride with me!

Thank you to everyone who came to Back-to-School Night!  Hope you had a great night and if you have any questions or concerns throughout the school year please be sure to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment