Thursday, August 28, 2014

So Proud

I'm so proud of a few of these kiddos today!  We've been working on learning our new phonics program and using dictation to practice their spelling with the phonics program.  Today as we were working through the lessons, I had a student point out how he knows the letter s can say the /z/ sound ~ the sound spelling card shows it!  Yeah, he's catching on!!

Even better was during dictation.  A couple days ago I had several students writing and really not thinking anything through.  Before correcting I pointed out that every word needs a vowel.  I must have said it 4 or 5 times and told them to check their word for vowels.  Most did not check it and went on to get it wrong.  I was highly disappointed (and a little frustrated!)  Today, we were working on the word made.  I noticed 2 students wrote mad.  I said, "Before we correct, everyone check your word and read it silently to yourself.  Ask, did I write made or mad?"  All students were reading their words and both the students saw their mistake and went to correct it!  Yeah!!!  One student was checking the sound/spelling cards and wrote maid which is a correct spelling for the word; just not the one we were using.  But, again, YEAH!  He successfully used the cards to help guide his spelling instead of just guessing and being WAY off!

I love seeing the kids take an active part in their learning and actually trying to use the tools I've given them instead of just sitting back and waiting to be told the correct answers.  This made my day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment