From the moment we entered the cafeteria for the assembly, there was an upbeat mood about the place. The speaker was playing some great songs and began interacting with the students and becoming personable with them. Once we were all seated and ready to begin, the speaker started by introducing Rachel with a baby picture. All you heard were ahhhs from the students at the cute baby picture. Throughout the talk, we heard about Rachel's Challenge for Creating a Chain Reaction. We saw video examples of how the challenges could be upheld. We heard stories of different ways Rachel had impacted the lives of others when she was in school. The assembly was a great starting point to bring up discussions in the classroom.
Once in the classroom, I wondered how much did my 2nd graders get out of this assembly. I found they got more than I imaged! They were able to see the impact they can have by just stepping in and stopping someone from bullying another person. Or the simple act of helping someone clean up a mess.
During the assembly students were given these 5 challenges:
- Use kind words
- Include others
- Surround yourself with positive influences
- Set goals
- Journal
We will be talking and practicing these things in our classroom as the year goes on. I think they are great traits we can begin making habits that will turn in to just a way of life for our kids. Our first goal is going to be using kind words. If you begin seeing some of this happening at home, please be sure to encourage it and not be suspicious of what they may be up to. They aren't trying to fool you, they are just trying to change the world one kind act at a time.
For more information about Rachel's Challenge, you can visit: http://www.rachelschallenge.org/
I am amazed at the kids' reaction to this assembly! Today I was reading a book to them about a new kid at school and how the other kids were treating him poorly. A few of the students commented that those kids needed to take "Rachel's Challenge." They are getting it and making the connections ~ that's what an impact a quality assembly can have on kids!
ReplyDelete