Thursday, April 24, 2014

Great Reminder. . . .



As we approach this time of year I am thankful that for the first time in my 16 years of teaching I am not preparing students for a standardized state test.  That whole process is stressful for everyone, teachers, students, parents, and anyone else involved in the lives the people taking and administering these tests.  As I watch the 3rd-8th grade classes prepare to take the sample test for the new version of state tests, I am relieved my class is not having to endure what they are dealing with; but, I am also reminded that we all need a moment to step back and reflect.  These tests are only a snapshot of what each child complete at that point in time.  They do not reflect the true learning that has taken place all year long and can be swayed by so many factors ~ hunger, lack of sleep, losing the baseball game the night before, arguing with a sibling that morning, needing to pee but afraid to ask because they are in the middle of the "THE TEST."  I've seen so many factors make an impact and had many stomach aches; but, then I remind myself, these kids are more than a test score and I do more than teach to a test!

As all this has been on my mind today, I stumbled across this on Facebook and thought it was very appropriate and needed to be shared with all parents and students!


What makes it even more appropriate is that it came to me on the day I'm trying to figure out what to do with my youngest son and kindergarten next year.  He's very immature and lacks some of the academic abilities others his age are capable of; yet, I don't really want to hold him back from kindergarten because I think he'd be too bored in another year of preschool.  As I start comparing him to his older brother I have to stop and remind myself, it's not a race but a time of him to develop at his pace and with the right teacher guiding him, he'll be exactly where he needs to be when he needs to be there!

These ramblings may not make sense to anyone outside of my mind right now; but, I am grateful for this picture because it reminds me to quit worrying so much about how my child measures up against others and just allow him to be who he is!  

And yes, I do apply this to my classroom as well.  Goals are great; but, no students should have a set goal as the standard.  They should be individualized and set for the individual student to be able to meet their goal with a little work on their part.  That's why I like AR ~ I set the goals based on individual reading levels and students work to meet that goal.  Same with Rocket Math ~ goals are set on individual writing and process speed and students work to meet their individual goal.  It's not standardized as children are not standardized robots; therefore, we shouldn't teach to them as though they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment