Monday, May 5, 2014

Childhood Replicating Adulthood ~ NO THANK YOU!

I came across this on Pinterest while searching for class ideas. .  .


It reminds me of many students I have had throughout the years; but, especially of one student in particular because I worked with his mother.  She would often come by my class and see him out of his seat or not sitting the "right" way.  She would always worry I wasn't being firm with him because we worked together; but, finally I reassured her.  I have these students every year who just can't sit in their seats.  (Half the time, neither can their teacher!)  As long as they are working, then by all means, stand, sit funky in the chair (as long is it a safe funky!)  It's not about sitting still, it is about whether or not they can do what I am asking of them.

I see many class set ups where all the supplies are at each set of tables and no one ever has to get up because the supplies are an arm's length away.  Every year I think it looks so organized and imagine how well transitions must take place in these classrooms.  But, then I think of the poor children who must sit in their desks all day and never have the chance to get up ~ imagine how their backs must ache (okay, maybe that's just me and my old age; but, sitting for long periods of time makes my body ache!)

I remember back when I was a younger teacher and had others looking at my class management skills.  Students must be in their seats and silent.  What I found is, I went through way too many boxes of Kleenex!  Truth be told, they never needed to wipe their noses.  Let's be serious, how many kids really use Kleenex on a regular basis?  Isn't that why they have sleeves on their shirts?  But once I loosened up and allowed kids to stretch by standing when they needed to, boy, Kleenex lasted longer.  No more need to find an excuse to walk around.

The standards placed on kids today are hard enough; do we really need them to be mini adults while in school?  NO!  So, when you enter my class and see kids standing, wandering, sitting in odd positions, just know I am one who believes we need to "Let them move!"

No comments:

Post a Comment