Thursday, May 22, 2014

Field Trip ~ Rosa Dairy Farms

Today we had an incredible day away from school.  We came in this morning and prepared ourselves to set off on our 2nd grade field trip.  A day of fun and learning.  First stop, Rosa Dairy Farms.

At the Rosa Dairy we learned some history about the Rosa family and how they began their family dairy that has passed on to the next generation.  For those that are wondering, yes, we are talking about the Rosa Dairy that produces the valley famous milk such as the rootbeer milk and the orange cream milk!

Once we learned a little about the dairy and their family, we had time for a few questions ~ boy was that a mistake!  There was the dreaded question no teacher wants to hear.  "How do you know if the cows are boys or girls?"  I held my breath as the speaker stated they have different parts just like in "real life" and then she changed that to humans because cows are in real life as well.  It was probably one of my favorite parts of the day as I look back!

After we had our talk, we were able to board the dairy's "Moo Mobile" to ride around their dairy.  Unfortunately no photography was allowed on the tiny bus; but, I can say the tour is amazing!  I love how the kids are able to drive around that dairy and see everything without getting out and worry about them touching things they shouldn't or slipping and falling.  I wish I had my own "Moo Mobile" to take me around cmapus :)

After the drive around the dairy, we were able to get out and pet a calf!  The calf was very cute; but, also very active!  She jumped quite a bit and we had to watch the kids from scaring her even more.

Matthew, Mark, Gavin, Gabriella, Jayden, and Ethan all try to get a feel of the calf as she bounces throughout her pen

Once done checking out the calf, we got to go do a milking challenge to see how well the kids could milk a cow!  Don't worry, it was a simulation activity.  We had 2 students who were the clear winners of the class being able to milk out 13 ounces in 30 seconds ~ WOW!
Brooklyn is determined to milk this cow dry

Kaden is not going to be outdone as he figures out how to milk this "cow"
After this experience we cleaned up and got to try some milk samples.  Most students chose the chocolate or rootbeer flavored milk.  I opted for the my first ever taste of the orange creme ~ hmm, wishing I had more of that right now!  Very yummy stuff.

From the Rosa Dairy we headed over the Civic Auditorium for lunch and Superior Dairy ice cream!  It was a great cool day to sit and have a picnic.

Gabriella and Brooklyn enjoy their picnic with a friend from the other class!  (I only post pictures of those I have permission slips signed from, that's why the friend is smiling extra special here!)

The only picture I have from ice cream is on my cell phone.  I would gladly post Wyatt's chocolate mustache and beard; but, that was taken to text to his mom so I don't have it available to post here.  But, ice cream was a big hit.

With ice cream done and put away, we then moved over to the carousel. We patiently waited our turn while Mrs. Marshall's class went on. Once we got on, the fun began for us!

Gabriella, Brooklyn, Wyatt, Mark & Kaden all wait patiently for their turn on the carousel.
(I'm guessing that's Ethan probably making funny faces at them)

Jonna is ready to take her ride

Gabriella, Brooklyn and Mark are eager to get moving around and around

It was a great day that has made this teacher one VERY tired guy!  Looking forward to Playday tomorrow, but also dreading it a little because my legs and feet are ready to fall off.




No comments:

Post a Comment