Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Greatest Moments

The end of the year is approaching faster than I'd like at this point!  Talking with the students yesterday about the end of year events and how little time we have left, I will admit, I was getting a little emotional.  Sad thing is, so were a few of the kids!  As I'm getting to the point where good byes are too near I had a great reminder today that it isn't really a good bye.

I was walking back to a meeting after lunch and caught the eye of a student I had about 5 years ago.  We have a habit of catching each other's eye and giving the "what's up" nod or the whole "I'm watching you" signal.  It really is dorky; but, it's a habit.  I give the nod as I'm running late for the meeting; but, he puts up his hand and I think he's doing the "watching you thing."  Nope, he flags me down and mouths, "I need to talk to you."  Well, of course students take priority over that meeting (anything to delay a meeting!)  I head over to find out what's going on.  What later hit me was the huge reward I get from this job!  This student had me 5 years ago and still trusts that when he sees me, I not only have time to acknowledge him, but I can also be trusted to talk to when needed!  (The conversation wasn't a huge deal to any adult; but, to him it was a big deal at the time.)

Later I got to thinking, I have a roomful of students who will hopefully be stopping me as I walk to a meeting and they trust I'll have time for them!  Of course with this class, they'll probably come tackling me if I don't keep my eyes on them at all time anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment