Each month our class has chosen a student as the "Student of the Month." This year I have allowed the class to vote and select who would represent Room 14 at the monthly Student of the Month party. I have not been posting much about this throughout the year; but, this month I had to post! As it gets further along in the year, it often gets more difficult to select that one student who stands out. This time, I had several who I could see earning the honor; however, it was the last one of the school year. I talked with the kids and we discussed what qualities the student of the month should have and how they need to show it in the classroom AND on the playground. The class voted and we ended in a tie that I could not break, so I opted to send both students (shh, don't tell anyone!)
The best part, one of the boys who was voted in responded with, "Really? I've never been a student of the month!" You could hear the excitement (and pride) in his voice. It was at that moment I had a talk with both boys who won this last student of the month and I was able to tell them I kept hearing from their classmates how much they have changed this year. One student said, "He's gotten really nice. Last year he was always annoying." Another student said, "He's fun to play with now." Of course one student piped in with, "I think he's just afraid of Mr. Price." I could see the boys really beaming as they saw their classmates truly saw them as friends and heard nice things being said about them.
Very proud of the work these two boys have done for me in my class this year! Hope that feeling sticks with them and I hear about them getting more student of the month awards in years to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment